Monday, December 31, 2012

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia by Elizabeth Gilbert

When a former office mate, who's also a voracious book reader, first told me about Elizabeth Gilbert's Eat, Pray, Love; I was a little skeptical.  The story didn't appeal to me and it sounded like one of those new age, self-help books; the "it" title of the moment as it was.

But on one particular trip to the Bras Basah Complex, the mecca of all second-hand book complexes here in Singapore, I found myself needing one more title to avail of a special 3 for S$10 bargain.  Having no other choice, I settle on Eat, Pray, Love.  But it's a good thing I did, too, 'cause I take back all the inane misgivings I've had about this novel.  Guess you really can't judge a book by its cover (even if it is Julia Roberts and I don't like her much too).  J

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert



Elizabeth Gilbert, like all of us at one point or another, finds herself questioning her life's purpose.  In her early 30s, it would seem she has a very enviable life -- a loving husband and a successful career.  But she just doesn't feel complete; and so with much trepidation, she leaves everything behind and goes on life-changing, soul-seeking trips to Italy, India and Bali.

It's funny how life throws unexpected curves and we are left feeling alone and confused.  It takes a really brave woman to have left her seemingly full life to finally understand herself.  There were a lot of painful sacrifices she had to take, the most severe in my opinion of which was her inevitable divorce with her husband.  There are instances that Elizabeth was selfish; but who am I to judge another person of their behaviors and mistakes. 

Eat, Pray, Love is a good book about reflection, full of memorable quotes and sayings.  I do, however, highly doubt if I'd be purchasing the follow-up novel.

3 comments:

  1. One of the books I haven't got a copy. Will get one next year. :P


    http://www.dekaphobe.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read Eat, Pray, Love and I really liked it. I felt envious of her, having all the money to spend just to go soul searching :)

    My fave phase is Eat and Love, how about you? :)


    Happy New Year btw! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Too many to mention. Daming quotable quotes. Heheheh! In fact, I think this is the very first book that used a highlighter on. I try to avoid it kasi since I don't like writing on my books but there's just so many nice, inspirational lines that I really wanted to keep track of already. =)

      Delete

SG | An Aerial View of Sentosa Island

Sentosa is a well-known island resort in Singapore. They're quite famous for their expensive luxury landed properties, exquisite hotel...